There is nothing like the sound of the rain outside the window as you rest on the couch with a cuppa in hand all snuggled up watching your favourite movie…..Oh who am I kidding I am not writing a blog on what I dream I was doing on these rainy days.
So what have we been up to?
- Creating an indoor treasure hunt. We hid some of Little G favourite toys and then wrote clues which she had to solve to find the treasure. At each treasure point there was a new clue for the next one.
- Camp Out in your lounge room. We draped sheets over chairs and then placed a blow up mattress on the floor. We brought in our doona’s and pillows to make it nice and comfortable as well as our favourite books to read and food to eat.
- Bring out the jigsaw puzzles. This is great for everybody. Make some space on the lounge room table or in an area where you don’t have to move it. This way you can walk away and come back to it especially if you do a 1500 piece one like we have crazily started!
- Writing a story. Little G loves to be creative so we have started writing an adventure story. Simple get a scrap book so that they can write on one side and draw a picture on the other. If your child is not yet writing get them to tell you what they would like to write, you write and they can draw the picture.
- Baking. A girl needs to eat! We have been baking cupcakes, cookies and brownies. There is nothing like fresh baking and a cup of warm milk on a rainy day.
We do get ‘cabin fever’ and still want to be able to get out and about. Some ideas:
- Go for a walk in the rain. This is a definite favourite. Pop on your gumboots, raincoats or simply take an umbrella and off you go. We had leaf races in the gutter, jumped in puddles and even explored what animals we could find and how beautiful raindrops look on spider webs. Once home have a nice warm shower.
- Jump on the trampoline. You do need to be careful, but this can be a great deal of fun and lots of laughs. I would only recommend one person at a time on the trampoline
- Go on a worm hunt. Now this isn’t for the faint hearted.
- Go to your local Museum, Art Gallery, and Library. These place are great to go and you will find they will have dedicate children area’s which will have lots of activities for them to do.
- Go to a movie. We love movies and rainy days are perfect to head to the movies.
- Go to an indoor play centre. This is a great way for kids let off so steam and have a play with other kids. You can find ones for most ages and if you kids a bit older why not try one of the indoor trampolining, ice-skating etc. and even have a go yourself!